Blog Archive

Thursday, January 8, 2009

I'm In Search of my Mojo'- Lemon Velvet Cake

I’m In Search of My Mojo’


The holidays have past and I seemed to have lost my mojo’. I got up this morning, stepped out into my living room and all over the floor was piles of stuffing from a stuffed animal. Austin, my 1½ year old Schnoodle sat over in the far corner with his legs tucked between him looking at me with those “Oscar” Sesame Street eyebrows appearing as if he knew nothing of this event. My 9 year old tabby, Scooter was resting in her comfy lambs wool bed with a look that said “You know He did it”. I decided that my morning stretch would be picking up all these mounds of fluff scattered all over the room. I found the victim of this unfortunate event lying in the family room. It was My stuffed Holiday Bear “Beary”, with a tear around his neck.

Austin has at least 10 stuffed animals of various sizes with and without stuffing. I told him 2 weeks ago as I placed “Beary” out on the living room settee that this was my bear and that he had better not touch it. Austin seemed to have understood what I had said at the time because he looked at “Beary” the Christmas Bear crossways and then back to me. Every now and then I would catch Austin looking at Beary and remind him that my bear was off limits.

I went into Dog Psychology 101 mode and attempted to decipher what made Austin yank the stuffing out of Beary. It rained all day Tuesday so his walks were very limited that day. I made spaghetti and meatballs for dinner that night. I gave him a very small portion, took off much of the sauce, cut up the spaghetti, pulled out the onions and gave him one meatball. As cute as Tramp looked sharing spaghetti and meatballs with Lady, I just didn’t feel like giving this black and white Schnoodle a bath that evening. We watched the TV show “House” together and afterwards I took him out long enough to do his business. I refused to go outside (due to the rain) so I held the leash with him on the other end of it from the doorway. I then poured a glass of soy milk and took a small piece of the Lemon Velvet Cake that I had made for New Year’s Day. I did ignore his pleading look of “Gimme some pwease“?. I shut my bedroom door on him (because he was wet) and savored this scrumptious lemon cake in peace. I read from my Kindle the 2nd book of the Twilight series. I brushed my teeth and went to bed. Maybe that was it? Human Psychology 101 probably says “Well, duh ya think”?

It has been a very windy/rainy Wednesday. Austin is lying on the couch next to the settee. Beary has been placed back in his sitting position on the settee with the stitches hiding from the knit scarf that is around his neck. Something tells me that Austin has every intention of getting a hold of Beary as soon as I walk out this door to pick Brendan up from school. Do I test this theory? Meanwhile, I will continue looking for my mojo’.
***********************************************************************




Lemon Velvet Cake

2 cups cake flour
1tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
2 sticks of salted butter, soften
4 eggs, room temperature
5 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
Finely grated lemon zest from 2 lemons

Preheat oven 350F. Grease and flour a bundt pan or decorative cake mold pan.
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together-set aside. Cream butter and sugar for about 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time beating for at least 30 seconds each. Add lemon juice and lemon zest. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add flour mixture and beat an additional 2-3 minutes. Bake 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto a rack. Poke holes in cake using a skewer or toothpick. Spread glaze on top.

Lemon Glaze

1 cup confectioner’s sugar, sifted
2-3 Tbsp. lemon juice
Dash of milk, if desired

Combine all the above to form glaze. If you want a less tart lemon glaze then by all means add milk. This cake is very moist and tastes even better the next day if there is any leftovers.
************************************************************************
Favorite Cookware: Microplane Zester and Nordiac ware Chrysanthemums baking mold.


Enjoy!

The Frye Girl 2 U

No comments: