Blog Archive

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

No Rest for the Weary- Chicken Noodle Soup

Please excuse my late posting. I came down with the flu. I actually caught it from my 9 yr.old son who caught it from his cousin. It's funny, how despite all techniques (constant hand washing, Lysol spray, Clorax water, separate utensils and dish ware, isolated area,etc.) I still managed to catch the flu. My niece's case was mild. My son had it really bad and as for myself...well, "mothers" don't get sick. We still have to clean, cook and work.

While taking care of my son through these past 7 days a revelation came upon me. All women can relate to this who has had to take care of a husband or boyfriend. When "they" get sick, it is a near- death experience. I mean, the whining, "honey I need this" goes into hyper mode. We can be on our last leg and it will not even be acknowledged by these guys. Well, I am sure there are a few out there who are protesting this statement, but it is so true. How does this happen? I "babyed"my son. I was at his beck and call. I stayed up for 2 nights straight just making sure he was still breathing. I created this syndrome. "We" women have created this syndrome in men. It probably dates back to cave man days. Would these men survive an illness without us? Yes...eventually. As for us, mothers never get sick.
************************************************************************************

Chicken Noodle Soup

2 lbs. chicken leg quarters
1 lb chicken feet (optional-but makes a great base)
8 cups water
3 large yellow onions
4 stalks celery with leaves
3 cloves garlic
6 carrots
2 bay leaves
2 packets Sazon goya seasoning
1 tsp. paprika
1 Tbsp season salt
2 tsp pepper
2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup canola oil
1 box bow tie noodles

Clean and rinse chicken parts. If using chicken feet, cut off toenails. Using a large stock pot add oil and place on medium heat. Brown chicken in batches. It takes about 8 minutes per side. Set chicken aside. Quarter 2 of the onions. Remove the top and bottoms of the onions. Leave the skin on. This helps absorb some of the fat. Take 2 stalks of celery with leaves and break them in half. Place in pot. Add 2 cloves of minced garlic, 3 carrots and bay leaves. Saute vegetables in oil for 3 minutes. Add browned chicken, lemon juice, Sazon goya seasoning packets, 2 tsp salt, pepper and water. Bring to boil, then set on medium low and simmer for 4 hours.

Remove chicken parts. Throw away chicken feet. Place chicken quarters in a baggie and refrigerate. Strain and discard vegetables. Set broth in refrigerator over night. Next day, skim off fat. Dice remaining vegetables, shred chicken and add to strained broth. Add white wine and paprika. Add more water to broth to make at least 8 cups. Simmer 1 hour. Add 1/2 box noodles and cook for 9 more minutes. Season with salt at 1/2 tsp. increments to your taste.
This makes a lot of broth and you can add more water and additional noodles (the other half of the box) when reheating. 12+ servings.
***********************************************************************************
Favorite Cookware: Conical Stainless Steel Strainer with Hang Hook
***********************************************************************************

Enjoy!

The Frye Girl 2 U

No comments: