Blog Archive

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Country Breakfast

I am what you call a “transplant”. Or at least that is what I still refer to myself as….I have lived in North Carolina since 1993. Let me rephrase that… I have lived out in the country since 1993. The TV show Green Acres would about sum me up in a nutshell. Life as I knew it slowed down to a turtle’s pace. No bustling of people or the constant humming of cars. In it’s place is the huge tractor that goes 2 mph and in the same direction that my car is going for the next 5 miles. Strangers wave and say “Good Morning” or give a nod in my direction as acknowledgment. The town police knows everybody by name and knows your kids too. The neighborhood pharmacy has a “freebie” table set up with regular and sugar free candies for it’s customers.

Clear night skies shows off our solar system of stars while the chorus of crickets can be heard in the background. Each morning a cluster of geese make their way to the bass filled pond. I like to believe that they are greeting me with their goose calls as they head in for a landing. Here you can actually wear your pajamas outside in the morning and no one cares.

We have had a considerably warm winter. This morning as I went for my daily walk the sun greeted me with it’s warmth against the backdrop of a clear blue sky. Song birds from within the brush filled the air with various melodic tunes. I looked at my herb garden and noted that after breakfast I would weed out some of the grass that has somehow made it’s way into and around the thyme, chives, rosemary and sage plants. I clipped a few sprigs of chives as I made my way back into my home.

A quick breakfast of scrambled eggs, several slabs of fresh country ham with a TBSP of coffee added in for extra flavor and a few of slices of French toast dipped in eggnog was completed within 15 minutes. Four glasses of orange juice was neatly arranged on the breakfast mats, along with plates and silverware. A beautiful Peace plant in full bloom served as the center piece. The aromas of breakfast woke the kids as they made their way to the kitchen asking “What’s that smell”? I sipped on a cup of Kona coffee made from my Keurig coffee maker before replying with a slight smile on my face “And Good Morning to you too”. The day has officially started with thoughts of what I will make for dinner. Good Morning Readers. I Hope you have a Blessed Day.
************************************************************************

Scrambled Eggs


4 large eggs
2 TBSP of Half & Half
1 TBSP of chives
1 TBSP of unsalted butter
salt & pepper to taste (s&p)

Melt the butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Whisk the eggs, Half & Half, chives and s&p. Pour them into the skillet. Tilt the pan when the eggs set and push with spatula.

Continue until eggs are done to your liking.
***********************************************************************

French Toast

4 pieces of cinnamon bread
1 cup of eggnog
2 TBSP unsalted butter
Maple syrup or applesauce

Heat skillet with unsalted butter on medium heat. Dip bread into eggnog and cook 3-4 minutes on each side. Serve with maple syrup or applesauce.
************************************************************************

Country Ham

Thin slices of Country Ham (Rinse and soak in cold water while preparing the French toast or for 5 -10 minutes to reduce salt content or longer if preferred)

2 TBSP of fresh coffee or water

Spray skillet with a nonstick cooking spray like Pam and set on medium high heat. Add country ham and coffee or water. Cook for 2 -5 minutes on each side and serve.

************************************************************************

Favorite Kitchen Ware: “fresh prep” Stainless Steel Herb Stripper Scissors


Enjoy!

The Frye Girl 2 U

No comments: