Blog Archive

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Western Omelet ala' Ziploc Baggie

Several years ago I visited a quaint little breakfast spot located in Chapel Hill, North Carolina called Breadmen's. They had the best omelets! I ordered what was equivalent to a Western Omelet. It arrived on a plate presenting itself as a King among it's court. Perfection at it's best. Golden yellow and billowy on the outside. Tantalizing creamy cheeses, crispness from the veggies cooked ala dente', along with the smokiness of the Canadian bacon on the inside.

Looking at the greatness of this omelet I wondered how the chef prepared this King among the egg dishes. Of course I had to ask the waitress was it possible to speak with the chef. He arrived at our table within minutes with a broad smile on his face. Reciprocating the smile while batting my eye lashes I conveyed to him that I was at awe of this magnificent omelet. I then asked, "How was it prepared"? Without breaking his smile and with a hint of a chuckle he politely told me it was a family secret. My head was swimming with possibilities. One thing for sure, I knew it had not been fried. I thanked him again as he swiftly weaved his way back to his domain. I couldn't wait to get home, but first to the grocery store to buy a whole lot of eggs, cheeses, meats and veggies.

After many days of trial and error and nightly dream interruptions I finally thought could it be possible to boil an omelet? Guess what? It can be done! This is as close to Breadmen's famous omelet as I can get.
*********************************************************************************
Omelet in a Bag
2 large fresh eggs
1 TBSP Half & Half (I like Land O Lakes)
1 TBSP chopped green pepper ( I like thinly chopped asparagus added)
1 tsp. chopped onion
1 large mushroom, sliced thinly
1/4 cup chopped Roma Tomato
1 slice of Canadian Bacon, diced
1 slice of your favorite melting cheese-crumbled
(I use smoked gueyre' cheese and baby brie')
dash of smoke paprika
1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/8 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
2 TBSP clarified unsalted butter or Ghee
2qt. -covered sauce pan
1-1qt. Freezer Ziploc Baggie

Saute' your veggies in the clarified butter, except tomato (or whatever you like ex. chopped asparagus) add mushrooms and Canadian Bacon and continue cooking 1-2 minutes. Whisk eggs, Half & Half, sauted' veggies, tomatoes and seasonings until golden yellow. Bring a pot of water to boil. Pour egg mixture and crumbled cheeses into a freezer safe ziploc bag. Squish air out and zip almost all the way. Place bag in the pot of boiling water with the edge of the bag outside the pot and the lid on to suspend the bag in the water.
Cook approximately 12-15 minutes. Unzip bag and let the omelet slide out. This makes a fluffy golden omelet. I also like to add fresh salsa and freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top.

If vegetables and the whisked eggs are prepared the night before and placed in the freezer baggie, all you have to do is bring your water to a boil and cook omelet as described above. You can also skip cooking the veggies and meat and just add it to the eggs. Personally, I Like my fat!

***********************************************************************************
Favorite Houseware: KitchenAid 9 cup food processor w/4 cup mini cup
***********************************************************************************
Enjoy!

The Frye GIrl 2 U

No comments: